Thursday, July 23, 2026

"SDA as True Church Claim Debunked!"




Recently, a trending video posted by an "SDA Bible Missionary" on Facebook has been making the rounds. It features an old clip of me confidently declaring that the Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) church is the only true church, and there is no other.

Back when I was an active SDA evangelist/apologist, my favorite punchline to the congregation was this: "People in other religions are actually luckier than Adventists. Why? Because when they leave their church, they can still transfer to the true one, the SDA church! But for us Adventists, if we leave our church, there’s nowhere else to go but hell!"

Since I stepped out of the denomination on September 12, 2019, this exact quote has been weaponized against me. Some of my former brothers and sisters pull this out like old "receipts" to prove that by leaving, I’ve made the biggest mistake of my life.

But does this argument actually hold water? Is it the ultimate proof that the SDA church is the one and only truth? Let's unpack this together.


The Blind Spot of My Past

Yes, I said those words. I own them. But I said them when I was still an Adventist. Since leaving, my eyes have been opened by the Holy Spirit to a much grander view of God's grace.

For 24 years, I was genuinely blind to the fullness of the New Covenant. I was conditioned to believe that salvation was tied to our specific organization. Using my past blindness to disprove my current freedom in Christ is a logical fallacy. It’s like telling a butterfly it’s wrong for flying because it used to aggressively defend life as a caterpillar. When the light of the gospel shines, perspectives change.


The Plot Twist: I Said the Same Thing for the Jehovah's Witnesses

If anyone wants to insist that my old quote is solid, unshakeable evidence that the SDA is the true church, then they have a massive problem on their hands. Why? Because to be consistent, they would also have to accept that the Jehovah's Witnesses (JW) are the true church!

Here is the plot twist: I used that exact same argument in my preaching during my 16 years as a Jehovah’s Witness! I actually learned that "nowhere else to go" reasoning back in the 1980s from my JW friends, the De Leon brothers from Tondo, who were also deeply into religious debates.

Let’s take a trip down memory lane. In 1992, I had a public debate in Bulacan against Mr. Eliseo Soriano of Ang Dating Daan. The topic? "Alin ang tunay na Iglesia na ililigtas ng Diyos?" (Which is the true Church that God will save?). During that intense debate, I passionately defended that the Jehovah's Witnesses were the exclusive group that would survive Judgment Day. That entire debate is recorded on video.

Imagine if a JW apologist posted that 1992 video on Facebook today with the caption:

"Ronald Obidos testifies that Jehovah’s Witnesses is the true church! We are already in the truth, if you leave, there is nowhere else to go but hell!"

Who would be happy about that? The Adventists or the Jehovah's Witnesses? Obviously, the JWs would win that round. It would completely backfire on the SDA Bible Missionary because I was using that exact script for the JWs long before I ever brought it into the Adventist pulpit!


The Cultural Mindset of the "True Church"

In our Filipino culture, loyalty is a huge deal. We love to belong to a samahan (a group or brotherhood), and we easily attach our identity to our affiliations. Sadly, this spills over into religion. Denominations use fear to keep their members in check, acting like exclusive clubs with VIP access to heaven.

This is an empty, man-made concept. Often, it operates like a franchise a money-making scheme hiding behind the name of religion.

This is where understanding New Covenant theology changes absolutely everything. Under the New Covenant, we are not made righteous by keeping Old Testament laws. True salvation is a free gift of grace, fully paid for by Christ, not by our exhausted efforts to keep the law.


Conclusion: Who is the Real Truth?

Does this mean I believe there are no saved people inside the SDA denomination? Of course not. I firmly believe there are true, born-again children of God sitting in those pews. When the Lord Jesus returns in the clouds to gather His people, many of them will rise to meet Him.

But hear me clearly: they will not be saved because they are card-carrying members of the Seventh-day Adventist organization. They will be saved because of their personal, saving relationship with Jesus Christ. They are saved by grace, not by their own law-keeping righteousness.

To my SDA friends: I kindly ask that you stop using my old testimonies as proof of your church's exclusivity. It is a recycled argument that any cult or religion in the world can use, and I know you wouldn't accept it if another group used it against you.

Jesus Christ alone is the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE (John 14:6), not the SDA church. Jesus is perfect; human denominations are not. I pray that you won't let fear stop you from researching and seeking the truth. Keep your hearts and minds open to the light God wants to show you before it’s too late.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

Call to Action: Today, take a brave step and examine where your security truly lies. Is your confidence rooted in a church name, a set of rules, and fear, or is it resting entirely in the finished, perfect work of Jesus Christ on the cross? Open your Bible, read the New Testament without the lens of your denomination, and let His grace set you free. Share this message with someone who needs to hear about the true freedom found in Christ alone!

FORMER ADVENTISTS PHILIPPINES

“Freed by the Gospel. Firm in the Word.”

For more inquiries, contact us:

Email: formeradventist.ph@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/formeradventistph 


Partner with me in advancing this ministry. Be part of this mission! Your support helps us continue gospel-centered outreach and resources.

GCash: 0969-514-3944

PayPal: paypal.me/formeradventistsph

Ko-Fi: ko-fi.com/ronaldobidos


2 comments:

  1. Unang-una, nakakapagtaka lamang na ang isang taong katulad mo na mapagsaliksik ay mapapaniwala at mananatili ng 24 years. Ibig bang sabihin sabihin ni isang mali wala kang nakita noong una palang para manatili ka nang ganoon kahabang panahon? Kung may nakita kang mali habang nand'yan ka pa, anong nagtulak sa'yo para magtagal at ipagtanggol pa ang SDA kung alam mong kaligtasan mo ang malalagay sa alanganin? Ibig sabihin ayos lang sa'yo noon na lokohin ang tao na SDA ang totoo kahit may mali ka na na nakikita?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hindi mo po alam ang buong story kaya po kayo nagtatanong. Nawa makinig po kayo muna bago humatol. Noon pa man late 1990s may nakikita na akong mali ngunit isinang tabi ko muna sa pag asang baka nagkakaali lamang ako at need pa mag stay hanggang sa hindi ko na matanggap ang mga kamalian na nakita ko na napakarami kaya umalis na ako sa SDA.

      Delete

FEATURED POST

"Inspired or Edited? Investigating the 1888 vs. 1911 Great Controversy!"

Question: Did Ellen G. White's revisions to The Great Controversy actually change the meaning of her prophetic claims? Answer:  Absolute...

MOST POPULAR POSTS