MOST POPULAR POSTS

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A SHORT DIALOGUE ON LEAVING THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH AND EMBRACING THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST


I would like to share the discussion I had with a Seventh-day Adventist who asked me a question. The question started with the question of why I left the Seventh-day Adventist church that I used to defend. I saw that this will also help others who want to share the gospel with their Adventist friends and relatives. I am also grateful for his sincere question. I hope the Lord will also open his heart to understand the gospel of Christ. I pray to the Lord that somehow many people will be blessed by this conversation we had. To God be the glory!

SDA: Did you leave the church? Aren't you a defender of this church?

Obidos: What I experienced is not new. It happened with the apostle Paul. Former Judaism/Pharisee was his religion and defender of the law to the point that in his zealousness he killed many Christians until he encountered Jesus on his way to Damascus. He understood the gospel. That he was saved by the grace of God, not by the works of the law. Let’s hear it from the testimony of Paul,

Galatians 1:13-14 (NLT) 13 You know what I was like when I followed the Jewish religion—how I violently persecuted God’s church. I did my best to destroy it. 14 I was far ahead of my fellow Jews in my zeal for the traditions of my ancestors.

Galatians 2:20-21 (NLT) 20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.

SDA: But read this brother, faith is not alone.

James 2:14, 17-18 (NLT) 14 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? 17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless. 18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”

Obidos: I concur with the content of that passage. I frequently referred to those verses when I was still a staunch advocate for the Adventist church. The essence of James's message in that passage is found in verse 18:

James 2:18 (NLT) 18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”

In essence, we must demonstrate through our Christian conduct that we are genuine followers of Christ. Since people cannot perceive our hearts or motives, unlike God, our faith in Him suffices. Our good deeds are not done to earn righteousness before God and salvation; instead, they serve as visible proof to those who observe us. These acts are a powerful testimony that, through faith in Christ, God, by His grace, continually transforms the lives of those who return to Him. Good works are the fruit of salvation not the other way around according to Ephesians 2:8-10,

Ephesians 2:8-10 (NLT) 8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. 10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

SDA: Which law do you adhere to in your current religious practice?

Obidos: As a Christian now, I no longer follow the Mosaic law, including the Ten Commandments that are part of the old covenant. Instead, I adhere to the law of Christ.

Galatians 6:2 (NLT) 2 Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.

The directive "Share each other’s burden" isn't even part of the Ten Commandments. Yet, by following it, we fulfill the "law of Christ." Thus, the commandments of Christ and the Ten Commandments are distinct. What does Christ explain as the "law of Christ"? Let's listen to the words of Jesus:

John 13:34-35 (NLT) 34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

Christ regarded His commandment to "love one another" as the "great commandment in the Law," surpassing the significance of the Ten Commandments and other directives in the Old Testament.

Matthew 22:36-40 (NLT) 36“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?” 37 Jesus replied, “ ‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment.39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

As per the teachings of Jesus himself, the paramount commandment is the law of LOVE, surpassing the importance of observing the Sabbath or dietary restrictions. The law of LOVE serves as the foundation for all of God's laws, including the Ten Commandments.

This principle is also emphasized by the apostles of Christ. The Apostle Paul stated:

Romans 13:8-10 (NLT) 8 Owe nothing to anyone—except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirements of God’s law. 9 For the commandments say, “You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not covet.” These—and other such commandments—are summed up in this one commandment: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”10 Love does no wrong to others, so love fulfills the requirements of God’s law.

As a Christian now, I adhere to the law of love, as commanded by our Lord Christ. Love stands as the foremost commandment for His disciples under the new covenant, enduring eternally. This law predates the creation of Adam and Eve, existing in heaven, and it will persist until the advent of the new heaven and new earth.

SDA: Brother, have you considered engaging in a debate with Adventist defenders to discern the correctness of each perspective?

Obidos: Engaging in a debate may not necessarily bring the clarity of the gospel, my friend. I propose that we study the Bible together first. I pray that God will touch your heart, granting you an understanding of the light of the gospel. God loves you. Blessings to you.

SDA: Alright, friend. Take care always.

Obidos: Thank you, and God bless you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment