MOST POPULAR POSTS

Saturday, December 2, 2023

ELLEN WHITE AND THE JOSEPH TURNER INCIDENT



Joseph Turner was a leading figure among the Adventists in 1845. In January, Elder Turner published an article in the Advent Mirror advocating his theory that the coming of the Bridegroom had already taken place in heaven and that Christ had moved "within the veil" in the heavenly sanctuary. Some Adventist people looked to Ellen Harmon, in her role of aspiring prophet, for guidance on this issue, and others would not accept a new doctrine without the seal of the "spirit of prophecy."

Here was an opportunity for the young prophet to make a name for herself. Already Turner's theory was gaining ground among the Adventists, and an endorsement of his theory would likely give credence to her prophetic abilities.

Therefore, in mid-February of 1845, Ellen Harmon claimed to have received a vision revealing the same truth. Of course, it would have been more impressive if the vision had come before Turner's article; however, it was better late than never. The timing of Ellen's vision — coming after Turner's article appeared in print — apparently puzzled Adventist pioneer Joseph Bates. So he wrote Ellen a letter regarding this. He was curious. Did Ellen really get her teaching from a vision? Or did she get it straight from Joseph Turner's recently-published article?

By the time Mrs. White got around to writing back to Bates in 1847, the relationship between Turner and the Whites had soured. Turner had become increasingly fanatical, going so far as to claim Mrs. White's visions were the product of mesmerism. It would have been terribly embarrassing for Mrs. White to admit that one of the Adventist's major doctrines originated with a man who was now condemning her as a false prophet. Therefore, Mrs. White writes back to Bates assuring him the doctrine came straight from God, not through the fanatical Turner:

Brother Bates, You write in a letter to James something about the Bridegroom's coming, as stated in the first published visions. By the letter you would like to know whether I had light on the Bridegroom's coming before I saw it in vision. I can readily answer, No. The Lord showed me the travail of the Advent band and Midnight Cry in December, but He did not show me the Bridegroom's coming until February the following.

Perhaps you would like to have me give a statement in relation to both visions. At the time I had the vision of the Midnight Cry I had given it up in the past and thought it future, as also most of the band had. I know not what time J. Turner got out his paper. I knew he had one out and one was in the house, but I knew not what was in it, for I did not read a word in it. I had been, and still was very sick. I took no interest in reading, for it injured my head and made me nervous. After I had the vision and God gave me light, He bade me deliver it to the band, but I shrank from it. I was young, and I thought they would not receive it three or four miles and there I found J. T. [Joseph Turner]. He merely inquired how I was and if I was in the way of my duty. I said nothing, for I knew I was not. I passed up [to the] chamber [bedroom] and did not see him again for two hours, when he came up, asked if I was to be at meeting that night. I told him, No. He said he wanted to hear my vision and thought it duty for me to go home. I told him I should not. He said no more, but went away. I thought, and told those around me, if I went I should have to come out against his views, thinking he believed with the rest. I had not told any of them what God had shown me, and I did not tell them in what I should cut across his track.

All that day I suffered much in body and mind. It seemed that God had forsaken me entirely. I prayed the Lord if He would give me strength to ride home that night, the first opportunity I would deliver the message He had given me. He did give me strength and I rode home that night. Meeting had been done some time, and not a word was said by any of the family about the meeting.

Very early next morning J.T. called, said he was in haste going out of the city in a short time, and wanted I should tell him all that God had shown me in vision. It was with fear and trembling I told him all. After I had got through he said he had told out the same last evening. I was rejoiced, for I expected he was coming out against me,for all the while I had not heard anyone say what he believed.

Notice the facts of this unusual situation. First, Ellen is in Turner's house for at least two hours, and was apparently alone for a while. She knew Turner's article was in the house and she had an intense interest in the subject. She had both the time and the opportunity and the incentive to study the article. That evening she arrived home after Turner had made his presentation to the group gathered at her parent's home. One would expect that after such an important meeting, everyone in the house would be talking about it. However, Ellen claims her family did not say a single word to her about the subject. Finally, the next day when Ellen relates her vision to Turner, he replies that he "told out the same last evening." What a coincidence!

The first obvious question that demands an answer is: Why was Ellen in Turner's house? What possible reason did she have for being there? Why do we find her at Turner's house at a time when one of the most critical new doctrines of the fledgling Adventist church is being. It is difficult, if not impossible, to believe Ellen did not sneak a peak at Turner's article while she was in his house for over two hours.Furthermore, it seems nearly unbelievable that her own family did not say a single word to her about Turner's presentation in their home a few hours earlier. This was a very important topic of discussion among Adventists at that time. It is hard to believe an important doctrinal presentation could be made in her own home to her own family and friends, and yet none of them said a single word to her about it.

Just as Foy and Ellen had a parting of ways after Foy realized Ellen was preaching his visions as her own, the relationship between Turner and Ellen soon went sour. Shortly after this incident, they became bitter enemies, each making accusation against the other. Mrs. White writes:

"Joseph Turner labored with some success to turn my friends and even my relatives against me. Why did he do this? Because I had faithfully related that which was shown me respecting his unchristian course." Ellen G. 8%ite: The Early Years, Vol. 1-1827-1862, page 87-88

After this incident, Turner became increasingly dubious of Ellen's inspiration. After all, he was well aware that she had spent a couple of hours in his home with his article available for reading. He knew he had lectured her family and friends that same evening. It was all too apparent her vision was either lifted straight from the pages of his article, or was related to her by her friends and family. Some of her own friends and family apparently agreed with Turner and turned against Ellen. Turner was not the first person to unwittingly furnish Ellen with materials for her visions, nor would he be the last.

After Ellen had adopted Turner's theory that Christ had moved into the Most Holy Place in 1844, and after she came out with a vision from God in support of it, the Adventist believers were stuck with the doctrine. God' s prophet had endorsed it, and there was no way they could get rid of it without getting rid of the "spirit of prophecy."

The doctrine was controversial to begin with, and lacked definite Biblical proof. For example, Mrs. White said the door to the Most Holy Place was opened up in 1844, while the author of the book of Hebrews said the way to the Most Holy was open in his day. Many other difficulties with the teaching could be cited, but Ellen White's own statements are best. Perhaps there were many times when Adventist theologians wished they could white out her endorsement of a doctrine that has proven to be one of the most controversial doctrines in SDA church history. As the years passed, even Ellen White herself seemed to be confused as to just exactly where Jesus was located.


In 1886, according to Manuscript 6a (see above) Jesus was standing in the Most Holy Place. But two years later, in 1888, we find him back in the Holy Place before the altar of incense. Then a year later, in 1889, Jesus is back "within the veil" where he ministers above the ark of God was in the Most Holy Place." However, nine years later, in 1898 we find Jesus ministering by the altar of incense in the Holy Place again!

When Turner turned against Ellen, he soon found himself the object of some pointed testimonies. He was not the first to suffer the prophet's wrath, nor would he be the last...


















No comments:

Post a Comment